[asterisk-users] Best timing source?

Duncan duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Wed Apr 6 16:20:33 CDT 2016

On 07/04/16 09:00, Carlos Chavez wrote:
> On 4/6/16 2:39 PM, Duncan Turnbull wrote:
>>
>>>     I am starting to think that the problem may be in the server
>>> hardware itself.  We are using a Dell R220 with 8gb of ram and 2
>>> hard disks in a Raid 1 configuration (Linux Raid).  We are using
>>> CentOS 7.  We had to remove the raid card from the server to install
>>> an E1 card (the raid card was Windows only so no loss there really).
>>> Internally everything sounds good (from E1 to a conference or music)
>>> but once you hit a network interface we start getting pops and drops.
>>>
>>>     Anyone with this server and Asterisk ever had issues like these?
>>>
>> Just checking you have your E1 timing set to slave off the upstream.
>> If not you are going to have E1 sync errors which will give you the
>> voice problems you describe
>>

>     Dahdi_test gives me a 99.97% average.  The problem is present on
> all calls (except calling into the E1 to a conference or to MoH).  I
> am preparing a new server to see if it is a hardware issue.

This is the bit I mean, but if you have calls going over the E1 that are
okay then its probably not this.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+PRI

|# span=<span num>,<timing source>,<line build out
(LBO)>,<framing>,<coding>[,yellow] # # All T1/E1 spans generate a clock
signal on their transmit side. The # <timing source> parameter
determines whether the clock signal from the far # end of the T1/E1 is
used as the master source of clock timing. If it is, our # own clock
will synchronise to it. T1/E1's connected directly or indirectly to # a
PSTN provider (telco) should generally be the first choice to sync to.
The # PSTN will never be a slave to you. You must be a slave to it. # #
Chose 1 to make the equipment at the far end of the E1/T1 link the
preferred # source of the master clock. Chose 2 to make it the second
choice for the master # clock, if the first choice port fails (the far
end dies, a cable breaks, or # whatever). Chose 3 to make a port the
third choice, and so on. If you have, say, # 2 ports connected to the
PSTN, mark those as 1 and 2. The number used for each # port should be
different. # # If you choose 0, the port will never be used as a source
of timing. This is # appropriate when you know the far end should always
be a slave to you. If the # port is connected to a channel bank, for
example, you should always be its # master. Any number of ports can be
marked as 0. # # Incorrect timing sync may cause clicks/noise in the
audio, poor quality or failed # faxes, unreliable modem operation, and
is a general all round bad thing. |