[asterisk-users] Xorcom T1 to PRI

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Thu Sep 24 17:08:24 CDT 2015

Hi,

I have a client that has a 24 channel voice T1 that I have been using
e&m signalling over for a number of years.  The local telco finally got
an ISDN switch and wants to move them to PRI.  I didn't see this as a
big problem - I've done a few others on this particular Caribbean island
without issues, but this would be the first time with a Xorcom unit
involved.

We tried to do it tonight and failed.  I suspect there is an issue at
their central office where they patched the line away from an old
dms-100 and to the new ISDN switch - the tech said he couldn't see
anything at the line layer, though I showed no alarms.  Regardless,
something odd happened that I am hoping for some advice on.  We reverted
to the T1 and will try again next week.

The odd bit is this - lsdahdi showed all 24 channels as "T1" instead of
"PRI".  The output of lsdahdi at another site where I had already done
this conversion (which uses a Sangoma card) looks like this:

root at astsouth:/etc/dahdi# lsdahdi
### Span  1: WPT1/0 "wanpipe1 card 0" (MASTER) ESF/B8ZS
   1 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
   2 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
   3 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
   4 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
   5 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
   6 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
   7 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
   8 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
   9 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  10 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  11 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  12 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  13 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  14 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  15 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  16 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  17 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  18 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  19 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  20 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  21 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  22 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  23 PRI        Clear       (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC - INACTIVE)
  24 PRI        Hardware-assisted HDLC  (In use) (EC: WANPIPE_HWEC -
INACTIVE)

Bah, the scrollback has already erased the output from the box in
question, but essentially it showed the same as above with "T1" in the
second column for all channels instead of "PRI".

They both had identical system.conf, which looks like this:

loadzone=us
defaultzone=us
span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
bchan=1-23
echocanceller=mg2,1-23
hardhdlc=24

In fact the *only* things I changed from the old system.conf tonight was
swapping "e&m=1-24" for "bchan=1-23" and adding the "hardhdlc=24".  The
old (now functioning) system.conf looks like this:

# Span 1: XBUS-00/XPD-00 "Xorcom XPD [usb:X1067719].1: T1" (MASTER)
B8ZS/ESF RED
loadzone    = us
defaultzone    = us
span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
e&m=1-24
echocanceller=mg2,1-24

So what about system.conf would cause lsdahdi to show "T1" instead of
"PRI" in column two?  Just trying to head off any additional problems
once they get their patching sorted out.

Thanks,