[asterisk-users] sox convert gsm file

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Wed Sep 23 09:14:30 CDT 2015

I am using centos 6.7 64 bit and sox to convert gsm files to wav.

When I do that I used to get a header like:
RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 8000 Hz

Now I get a header like:
RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, GSM 6.10, mono 8000 Hz

And the file does not play in the browser (chrome).

I use sox file.gsm file.wav
I have tried: sox file.gsm -r 8000 -c 1 file.wav

If I use the rasterisk convert file method - that works and has PCM not GSM
but I need to use sox. Reference:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Convert+WAV+audio+files+for+use+in+Asterisk

How does one correctly convert gsm to wav for play in the browser?

Thanks,

Jerry