[asterisk-users] How exactly does asterisk know what IP to send RTP traffic to?

Duncan Turnbull duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Mon Nov 23 15:21:28 CST 2015

HI Kevin

Is your VPN set as a localnet? The externip only tends to cope with the
firewall address. If you put the VPNs in the localnet lists then it
won't use NAT to find them.

In answer to your question, the SIP session description in the call
setup has the IP for media for both parties, which is where Asterisk /
client will send RTP to respectively . You can look at this using
tcpdump. c= is what you are looking for.

Some formal examples

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4317

Cheers Duncan