[asterisk-users] Asterisk "virtual hosting"

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Sun May 17 01:42:39 CDT 2015

also sprach Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com> [2015-05-17 08:31 +0200]:
> While preprocessing could be called 'templating,' this may be
> confusing because Asterisk already as a configuration file feature
> called 'templates.'

Fair point. Preprocessing it shall be.

> And you find preprocessing/templating complex?

Hehe. The difference is that e.g. when encountering a problem, in
your situation one always has to look at the preprocessor output,
identify the issue, and then translate it into a fix in the input.
Whereas with hierarchical includes, the files you edit are the same
files Asterisk reads and hence this can be taken into account e.g.
in log messages etc.

> >Is this something to consider?
>
> I don't think so, primarily because it is specific to your
> problem. The audience is too small.

You know the Henry Ford quote about faster horses, right? ;)

> Let's take a closer look at preprocessing using the preprocessor I
> referenced above to make sure I understand your needs.
[…]
> This lets you write generic contexts that will be prefixed as well
> as 'tailor' code specific to the value of the prefix. Isn't this
> what you're looking to accomplish?

Yeah, and it's nicely done. Arguably it's still a hack and debugging
becomes an indirect process (see above). But sure, it'll probably be
the best solution for now.

… although I believe Asterisk would benefit from better namespace
separation between sets of registrations/contexts.

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

"you raise the blade, you make the change
 you rearrange me till i'm sane.
 you lock the door, and throw away the key,
 there's someone in my head but it's not me."
                                                   -- pink floyd, 1972

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net