[asterisk-users] Phone provisioning template Snoms

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Thu May 7 18:12:01 CDT 2015

> > I am looking for a phone provisioning template for Snom phones,
> Yealinks and Polycoms. I am always doing deployments of many phones
> and usually configure each phone one by one for each installation.
> Any help will be highly appreciated
>
> There’s some excellent documentation about provisioning on the Snom
Wiki:

> http://wiki.snom.com/Category:Auto_Provisioning:Configuration_Files
>
> You can set the phones (via DHCP options) a firmware url on a web
> server under your control, grab their MAC addresses, then deliver
> them custom config settings as required.
>
> Easiest way to start is to copy the config file (via the web
> interface) from a phone with factory default settings, then just
> change the settings you need to change, and write something in your
> scripting language of choice (PHP, Perl, Python, etc.) to just send
> those settings to the phone dependent on MAC address. Don’t send
> *every* available config setting to the phone - only the changes
> from default you need to make.
>
> I suspect the same can be done with Yealink and Polycom phones -
> I’ve not used those so can’t really comment. I have a similar system
> which seems to work for Sipura/Linksys/Cisco phones, though most of
> my new deployments are exclusively Snom.

I use the Polycom phones and there are any number of ways you can automate
deployments of them. The templates you want to start with can be found on
the Polycom website here:
http://support.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/us/support/voice/index.html

When you download the firmware (UC software release), you get the
templates you want included in the download. You can use FTP, TFTP, and
HTTP that I know of to provision the phones. I use HTTP and have some
custom php scripts that I wrote that create my own templates on the fly
for a phone based on its mac address. You can use a combination of static
templates for things that are system wide and dynamic templates for the
things that are specific to each phone. You can also just create a static
template for each phone. It really depends on how in depth you want to go.
It does make provisioning much easier though.