[asterisk-users] Recommendations for IMAP Voicemail

Wed May 6 10:16:33 CDT 2015

With regard to your question about the imap store I highly suspect that
if it is unavailable when the message is saved then the message will be
lost. There are configuration options for the timeout and it might retry
a couple of times but Asterisk has no scheduling so I cannot see a way
for it to record the fact that there are voicemails waiting to be uploaded.

You are concerned about reliability but this is not an easy thing to
fully plan for. You could have a couple of asterisk boxes with config
stored in a database which is replicated between two of them. For
voicemail and general audio storage this could be on a NAS which
replicates data over to a backup. However if the primary NAS fails then
because you are using NFS this has a tendancy to hang which will cause
problems.
You could use IMAP for storage but you are pushing the file storage
issues just furthur away. If you use an IMAP store based on MAILDIR++
then you can have multiple IMAP servers mounting the same data and it
will work fine however this approach typically has a poor performance
when it comes to stat files in a mailbox so if you have lots of
voicemails asterisk will pause a long time. Other systems such as Cyrus
which use a database are much faster (sometimes 100 times faster!) but
much slower when it comes to storing new files.

We have a redundant pair of opensips servers performing load balancing
between multiple asterisk boxes which have a large gluster file storage
mounted on each. Thats a large number of machines but is the sort of
topology you need for something to be fully fault tolerant.