[asterisk-users] Anonymous SIP calls

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Fri Mar 27 16:17:28 CDT 2015

James,

I'm a systems and telecom professional with experience going back more than thirty years, to the days of teletype, current loop, POTS (2600hz signalling anyone?) and echo
cancellation via analog level control and hybrid balance.

Your read of the intent of the VOIP/SIP design correctly.  The intent WAS to make making connections between endpoints as easy as using a browser.

Unfortunately, setting up ALL of the infrastructure, not JUST the registration/switching points (Asterisk/Kamailiao/Freeswitch), can be quite daunting... In general, simple DNS is
beyond most and the necessary specialized (and they aren't That SPECIAL)  SRV records make most systems admins run for the hills these days.

When we see a statement regarding consideration of allowing anonymous calls, we seeing someone who is (rightly) concerned about fraudulent use of an expensive resource... PSTN
interconnect.  In the intended vision, that would be a "don't care" scenario, because the PSTN interconnect wouldn't exist, but it does and it's billed by it's use making it expensive.

In theory, E164 would have take up closer to that ideal.  Asterisk has hooks and connections to use it and it's own, competing directory mechanism, DUNDi.  Let's make special note
of a word I used in that last sentence... Competing.  Is DUNDi better?  I don't know and I'm fairly certain I just touched off a debate on the topic.  But I do know that when
things start competing/contending, people do a few things:

1.) They take sides and fragment things
2.) The sit on the sidelines and wait for things to settle out

In my experience, this has a tendency to bring things to a halt.

Add to this, most of this tech is really, really only useful to businesses.  I give my skills to people who need it (Family, friends my old gray haired mother-in-law).  Businesses
are in the business of making money and if they want the use of my skills, they get to pay me.  No one I know will perform this type of thing for free for a business and we all
compete for the limited pool of resource that business is willing to offer.  What I have to offer is the "tricks of the trade" I've garnered over a lifetime career.  There was a
time when systems admins freely swapped these tips, tricks and techniques (for the best example see the old Novell Users FAQ).  As I mentioned before, we who know how to install
and maintain VOIP systems are now competing and the dollars come hard, so there seems (at least in the areana of VOIP) less willingness to do this.  Oddly, VOIP seems to be more
cut throat that any other sector of IT.

Just my experience and I'm sticking to it... and wishing it weren't so and that unicorns really existed.