[asterisk-users] RTP handling

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Tue Mar 24 16:28:21 CDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Jeff LaCoursiere <jeff at jeff.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if asterisk does anything at all to RTP packets passed from
> channel to channel if no transcoding is involved? Can I assume that the
> packet that left phone A, arrived at the asterisk server, was copied to
> phone B's channel and eventually arrived at phone B had exactly (byte for
> byte) the same payload?  Assume two SIP endpoints, no NAT involved.

That will only happen when the call is natively bridged:

Non-native bridge: Packets can get translated or Asterisk has an interest
in the packet for things like DTMF or call recording.
Native bridge doing packet-to-packet (Local bridging): Packets come in on
one channel and go out the other channel with nothing else done to them.
Native bridge doing direct media (Remote bridging): Packets go directly
between endpoints so Asterisk never sees them.

Richard