[asterisk-users] [OT] switches

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Mar 23 12:07:33 CDT 2015

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, thufir wrote:

> so how does a client pc find the server if there's no NAT?  by IP
> address?? That makes no sense, to me, if the switch isn't assigning
> addresses.

The 'endpoint' (pc, softphone, mobile, desk set, etc.) 'finds' the
server's IP address when:

) You configure the endpoint with the IP address or host name of the
server. This happens either by a web page you fill out on the endpoint or
a configuration file that is downloaded by TFTP, FTP, HTTP, etc.

) You configure SRV records in your DNS.

I think the old IAXy did some sort of discovery on port 9999, but I don't
remember if it was device or server discovery.

--
Thanks in advance,