[asterisk-users] Asterisk 13.1.0/PJSIP outbound calling using SIP trunk: Unable to create request with auth.No auth credentials for any realms in challenge.

Sonny Rajagopalan sonny.rajagopalan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 09:32:41 CDT 2015

I have setup my Asterisk 13.1.0 server with PJSIP on AWS/EC2. My basic
configuration works, and I am connected to a SIP trunk using SIP.US, and
have set up my inbound calling which works correctly (when I call my PBX
DID, the call does come into my PBX network).

The issue is that I am not able to make outbound calls, because the call
fails with the error:

res_pjsip_outbound_authenticator_digest.c:125
digest_create_request_with_auth: Unable to create request with auth.No auth
credentials for any realms in challenge.

CLI> pjsip show endpoint sonnyGW1

 Endpoint:  sonnyGW1                                        Not in use    0
of inf
    OutAuth:  sonnyGW1_auth/sonny
        Aor:  sonnyGW1                                      0
      Contact:  sonnyGW1/sip:65.254.44.194:5060             Unknown
      nan
  Transport:  transport-udp             udp      0      0  0.0.0.0:5060
   Identify:  sonnyGW1/sonnyGW1
        Match: 65.254.44.194/32

My pjsip.conf is as below

[sonnyGW1]
type=registration
transport=transport-udp
outbound_auth=sonnyGW1_auth
server_uri=sip:gw1.sip.us
client_uri=sip:sonny at gw1.sip.us
contact_user=sonny
retry_interval=60
forbidden_retry_interval=600
expiration=3600

[sonnyGW1_auth]
type=auth
auth_type=userpass
password=somepassword
username=sonny
realm=gw1.sip.us

[sonnyGW1]
type=aor
contact=sip:65.254.44.194:5060

[sonnyGW1]
type=endpoint
transport=transport-udp
context=gateway1
allow=!all,ulaw
outbound_auth=sonnyGW1_auth
aors=sonnyGW1

[sonnyGW1]
type=identify
endpoint=sonnyGW1
match=65.254.44.194

My extensions.conf stub for the appropriate section looks like this (from
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Dialing+PJSIP+Channels) :

exten => _9XXXX.,1,Log(NOTICE, Dialing out from ${CALLERID(all)} to
${EXTEN:1} through gateway1)
exten => _9XXXX.,n,Dial(PJSIP/${EXTEN:1}@sonnyGW1)
; Have also tried
; exten => _9XXXX.,n,Dial(PJSIP/sip:${EXTEN:1}@65.254.44.194:5060)
exten => _9XXXX.,n,Playtones(congestion)
exten => _9XXXX.,n,Hangup()

I do know that this code is being executed as I see the log in the first
line above.

Have I correctly set up authentication for outbound calling?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!