[asterisk-users] switching from SIP to Skype..or not

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:22:17 CDT 2015

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 11:46:21 -0400, Ron Wheeler wrote:

> The problem has always been great sound from the other telephone and
> choppy sound (dropped sound fragments) from me to the caller with only
> one call going through Asterisk and the network pretty much dedicated to
> the my workstation.
>
> This has survived upgrades of everything (firewall, Asterisk server,
> workstation)

well, that was my thinking -- hardware.

If you have just a SIP *client*, ekiga, what-have-you, can it connect out
with SIP to SIP fine?  because, if so, that would be a powerful litmus
test.  If that test works, that establishes it's not the network.  (Yes,
I know you tested bandwidth already, but I'd at least try SIP to SIP
client to see if it matches Skype.)

Once you know that SIP to SIP works, speaking for myself, I'd just do a
clean install.  If you've run out of troubleshooting steps, that's the
one to use.

HTH,

Thufir