[asterisk-users] switching from SIP to Skype..or not

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 07:52:46 CDT 2015

I'm testing Asterisk at home, crummy connection.  Skype works fine for
me, but every SIP client, even without using Asterisk, fails to connect.
That's ok.

Is swapping out SIP for Skype a big deal?

Heh, well, I guess it's dead:

http://www.digium.com/en/products/software/skype-for-asterisk

If I have a really bad connection, can I "downgrade" SIP somehow?  I
don't really need to use to make voice calls.  Or, more specifically,
quality, echo, distortion aren't relevant.  Just SIP to SIP "hello".

When I connect to any SIP provider, ekiga, etc, without using Asterisk, I
get "too many hops" errors.  While I have another computer on the LAN I
can connect to, it's not quite the same.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Thufir