[asterisk-users] Understanding the right way to get started with multiple trunks/extensions

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 06:54:34 CST 2015

For some reason I didn't see David's reply by email, and have
copy/pasted the following from the list archives to make my reply,
sorry if that messes up anyone's threading.

On 4 March 2015 at 12:15, David Duffett wrote:
> If you would like to set things up via the GUI on your incredible PBX,
> [...]

I'm trying to avoid a GUI for now so that I learn something, but
knowing how to do it that way is appreciated, thanks.

> If, on the other hand, you want to achieve your aim through native
> configuration files, you could add a line like:
> exten => *home-number*,1,Set(CALLERID(name)=Home)
> exten => *home-number*,n,*continue handling call as you were before*

I haven't got my head round the syntax yet; will this retain the real
caller ID but add something to it, or will I lose the real ID?

>From your answers I take it that it is "better" if all users have
their own extension and I route calls to the relevant extensions as
required, rather than having users monitor multiple extensions. It's
what I expected but can I ask why? Is it a scalability or performance
issue, do I lose something by not doing it this way, or is it just
about doing things "right"?

With the above, what's the best way to handle voicemail? I would
expect anyone who could have taken the call to be able to access the
voicemail, and once one person has "dealt with" a message it's no
longer a new message to anyone else.

Mark