[asterisk-users] setting outbound caller ID

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Jun 18 15:02:51 CDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Matt Riddell <lists at venturevoip.com> wrote:

> Did you buy the number from your carrier?  Maybe it’s set on their side
> for the trunk.

That's what I think too, but they are denying this. I think what's
happening is they have a customer service guy interpreting logs (probably
incorrectly).

When I had a Century Link POTS line, I had a second number through my VOIP
provider that I only used rarely. The VOIP provider was used only as a
backup to cover any POTS outages (there were few), and occasionally to make
a second call when my wife was already on the line. The VOIP service was
very inexpensive (only $5/month plus a small per-minute fee when I actually
used it), plus they directly support asterisk use by supporting IAX
connections. Then I decided I wanted to save some money, since Century Link
was costing more than 8 times as much as the VOIP service, and while I was
thinking about this, a problem developed with the internal wiring in the
house (I did the demark test to confirm the CL line was OK). Since I didn't
want to pay to have the wiring repaired, I moved my main number over to the
VOIP provider. Worked great for inbound calls.

So now I have two numbers, and didn't want to pay for the extra one, so I
dropped the original VOIP number. That's where the trouble started. I want
my regular number that I ported over to be the one that shows in caller ID,
but the old one that doesn't even work any more was showing up instead. I
don't see any way that could be happening unless the provider is supplying
it, but they deny it.

At any rate, if I can figure out the right way to set the caller ID
explicitly, and assuming they honor it if I do, then none of this will
matter.

--Greg

--Greg