[asterisk-users] FXS Solutions for modems and other non jitter tolerant devices

Matt Darnell mattdarnell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:48:52 CDT 2015

In the past we have used Adtran Atlas 550's to break out FXS ports for
devices like modems.  The great thing about the 550 is that internally it
is all TDM so there is absolutely zero latency.

We are able to use ATA's for faxes and analog phones but devices that use
modems, they fail 99.99% of the time when using an ATA.

We tried to migrate to TA908 devices; they have FXS ports built into the
unit.  Unfortunately the FXS ports are just ATA's off of Asterisk, no
different than a SPA2012 unit.

The 550 is getting long in the tooth and very expensive for a few FXS
ports, what are you folks doing when someone has a need?  It can be a modem
for the power company to read the meter, a postage machine that needs to
get more postage, an alarm system,etc.

Is the customer buying a POTS line and splitting it the only other way?

Thanks,
Matt