[asterisk-users] small homebrew pbx

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Mon Jun 15 09:50:53 CDT 2015

> I don't know this 'translates' to Italy, but this is what I would advise

> somebody in the US to consider, assuming you have a reliable Internet
> connection.
>
> 0) I hope you mean you want to run Asterisk at home instead of 'Asterisk

> at Home.' A at H was an ancient distribution from around 2005.
>
> 1) Rent a DID (a 'PSTN number') from a reputable SIP provider. This
> eliminates the need for a PCI/USB interface and you won't disrupt your
> 'business' while you figure out how to configure and test your Asterisk
> server.
>
> In the US, you can rent a DID for about $1.50 per month and about a
$0.01
> per minute of 'talk time.' For 10 calls per day, this should beat the
hell
> out of a 'landline' monthly standing fee.
>
> In the US, it costs less than $20.00 to 'port' your existing number if
you
> are really in love with it.
>
> 2) Ditch the 'room warmer' and find something really small and cheap to
> run. I live in San Diego and we pay $0.32 per kWh. I'd guess running
your
> rig would cost me $50.00 to $100.00 per month just in electricity -- and

> probably that much again in the summer for additional Air Conditioning.
>
> Take a look at Soekris net4801. It's pretty old (but very reliable) and
> it's CPU will limit you on what OS you can run, but it will give you an
> idea of how small (and cheap to power) an 'Asterisk server' capable of
> handling a couple of simultaneous calls can be.
>
> For a more modern server, look for something small and cheap based on
> something like an Atom processor. Maybe a used laptop. If the battery is

> still good, you've solved your UPS problem as well. Although, if you
lose
> power, you've probably lost your Internet connection as well so you
could
> only make calls between extensions.
>
> 3) For the IP phones, check out ebay.com. Last year, I picked up 3
Polycom
> SP 501's for $20.00 each. A little dated, but a great phone.

I gotta agree with most all of this. Asterisk has been shown to run on a
Raspberry Pi and the Raspberry Pi 2 and will handle a few simultaneous
calls. Another resource is http://www.plugpbx.org/

For home use, I would think either would be a good low power way to run
Asterisk. Unless you just really need the land line, ditch the analog line
and go voip from start to finish.