[asterisk-users] small homebrew pbx

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 03:04:49 CDT 2015

On Monday 15 Jun 2015, lucio at sulweb.org wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new here and I'm interested in building a small PBX with asterisk at
> home. I have one single PSTN line and ethernet cabling in place. I
> already have fairly decent PC that I can use (AMD FX 8350 16GB of RAM
> and RAID 10 SATA disks). I make and receive 10 calls a day on average. I
> want 4 IP phones connected to the ethernet network. When there is a
> incoming call, all phones must ring and the first that takes the call
> makes the others stop ringing, but lets them available for internal
> calls.
>
> Given the requirements above, what's a cheap but working PCIe card / USB
> adapter I could buy for this kind of PBX? Do I need things like echo
> cancellation? Do I need FXS ports?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lucio.

You need an FXO port for each exchange line, and an FXS port for each analogue
telephone you want to connect to the PABX.  (If you want to use proper
hardware SIP phones, then you don't need FXS ports.)

You can get inexpensive PCI / PCIe cards which accept up to 4 modules, either
FXO or FXS, from the usual place online.  They are drop-in compatible with
Digium cards.  I would never use one of those in a mission-critical,
production environment, but they are fine just for experimenting with.

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .