[asterisk-users] Forward loop protection...

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Tue Jun 2 16:09:10 CDT 2015

>      Ia had a server overload today because someone did a call forward
> to their own extension.  To do a call forward I write a key called CFWD
> with the extensión number and number to dial .  The main script tests if

> the key/value exists and dials the number stored in the database.  What
> is an easy way to prevent dumb people from creating a loop?

Right after you have read the number to call forward to, compare it to the
number you are call forwarding from. If it matches, play the user an error
message and have them try again.

And no matter what you do, the dumb people will come up with more creative
ways to tank your phone system. A large amount of my dialplan code is
taking into account the stupid things they have done and handling it
properly if they do it again. I swear, if you could harness their
creativity for good you could solve the world's problems 10 times over.