[asterisk-users] Windows Asterisk Help

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Thu Jul 30 09:39:48 CDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Murthy Gandikota <murthy64 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> murthy
>

>  www.asteriskwin32.com hosts only a very very old version of Asterisk
> (1.2.something). What speaks against setting up a small virtual machine to
> host a recent version of Asterisk?
>
> jg
>
> You have a point. My SIP provider at the moment is Vonage which I can't
> access from work (some security issue:)
> So I am confined to testing from home and I don't have any other machine
> to spare. If there is no other way
> to trouble-shoot the problem, I will have to do what you suggest.
>
>  Thanks & Regards
> murthy
>

>  For very little $$$ you could obtain an HP thin client, load a modern
> version of Asterisk using AstLinux, and leave your Win 7 machine to do what
> it does best ( which is certainly NOT Asterisk )
> Once installed, it can be completely controlled and configured remotely
> over your home LAN, consumes very little power, has a universal power
> supply, consumes little power and no noisy fans.
> HP5720 units can be had off eBay for $20-30 US. Even with shipping to your
> country, really low cost solution much more in the mainstream.
> AstLinux uses standard Asterisk confs. The GUI is used for management and
> editing, and doesn't  use the difficult to troubleshoot  and quirky
> overlays of a TrixBox or FreePBX
> Check out the astlinux website for more details
>
> John Novack
>
> --
>
> Dog is my Co-pilot
>

> --
>

> ​Another option (assuming your computer has enough ram and disk space) is
> to run a copy of Linux in Vmware Player (which is available for free).  It
> allows you to run the Linux environment in a virtual computer as if it was
> an application on windows.  Then you can test the most recent release of
> Asterisk (version 13 at the moment).​
>
> --
> [image: Digium logo]
> Scott Griepentrog
> Digium, Inc · Software Developer
> 445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
> direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 256 580 6090
> Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org
>
> -- _____________________________________________________________________
> -- Bandwidth and Colocation Provided by http://www.api-digital.com -- New
> to Asterisk? Join us for a live introductory webinar every Thurs:
> or update options visit:
>

> Many thanks for your kind replies. Here is what I have done:
>
> a) Downloaded VM Player and Ubuntu ISO
>
> http://theholmesoffice.com/installing-ubuntu-in-vmware-player-on-windows/
>
> b) installed Ubuntu 14 something on Windows 7
>
> (By the way the Wubi which is supposed to download and install Ubuntu
> turned out to be a dud)
>
> c) installed Asterisk 11
>

> http://blogs.digium.com/2012/11/14/how-to-install-asterisk-11-on-ubuntu-12-4-lts/
>
> By the way, there was an undocumented problem with compiling DAHDI

​In a virtual environment, the DAHDI library is not useful, as it only
serves to connect to hardware cards that you likely don't have and VMware
generally doesn't support passing through to the virtual machine anyway.
 ​

> d) ran Asterisk and everything is back where they should be
>
> However, some times I get "User Busy" response from Vonage. I think this
> is an Asterisk issue. If anyone knows how to rejig Asterisk so that it
> won't hold
> on to the session after hang up, kindly let me know.

To get assistance with specific SIP call failures, you would need to
capture the SIP messaging for an instance where it failed, using 'sip set
debug' in Asterisk or wireshark, and then share that.  You'll only need the
actual SIP traffic on port 5060, not the RTP.

I would also recommend testing with a different provider (ITSP) first.  I
have used voip.ms successfully with Asterisk.
​