[asterisk-users] Centos 6.5 Asterisk 1.8.11.0 - starts in rc.local, but not contactible?

jg webaccounts173 at jgoettgens.de
Thu Jul 23 04:40:49 CDT 2015

> I'm trying to get Asterisk 1.8.11.0 to start automatically when my Centos
> 6.5 box boots.
>
> I've done this many times before, but for some reason, on this box and
> hardware (older Core i3 system, 4GB RAM) I cannot get Asterisk to be
> contactible after boot.
>
> E. g. in rc.local I have, as the last line
>
> ---
> asterisk
> ---
>
> as in all my other Asterisk boxes with Centos 6.5 and Asterisk 1. 8.11.0
>
> This -does- start asterisk on boot, but you cannot connect to it using
>
> asterisk -r
>
> the error being ...

Depending on the hardware you are using, simply calling asterisk might not be enough, as there
could be dependencies on third party drivers. Depending on how asterisk was installed, one
probably also has to look at various permissions. For example, asterisk -r might fail simply
because you are calling it from an account with insufficient rights. It's difficult to tell
given your information.

Just recently, I was caught by a user inflicted problem and spent some time evaluating SIP
messages...

Maybe the following will help. If you look into the contrib/init.d directory (inside the src
tree) you'll find the rc.redhat.asterisk script. Rename it and put it into the /etc/init.d
directory and issue "chkconfig --add asterisk" as well as "chkconfig asterisk on" and your
problem should be solved. You can check the current settings with "chkconfig --list asterisk".
The Redhat script works nicely under CentOS.

jg