[asterisk-users] Choosing codecs

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Mon Jul 6 03:38:41 CDT 2015

On Monday 06 Jul 2015, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
> So, I think, I should try to force the using of alaw for this phone,
> is it right?
> Usually we don't call mobile phones from our landline...

Yes.  You should definitely be using A-law for calls to the Outside World.

If you use a different codec, then your telephone company will either transcode
it for you  (if it is one they understand)  or just block the call  (if not).
Even if you are trying to use A-law to call a mobile phone, the transcoding to
GSM for the final leg to and from the handset will be taken care of by the
mobile company's equipment.

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .