[asterisk-users] Choosing codecs

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Mon Jul 6 02:48:08 CDT 2015

On Sunday 05 Jul 2015, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I noticed that when the phone of my wife calls the gsm codec will be used,
> but if someone calls the phone, alaw will be used:

> Could someone explain me why?
> Second question: I think, ulaw/alaw are better then gsm, isn't it?
> If so, how can I change it?

GSM is the native codec used for calls to mobile phones; it uses lossy
compression to achieve a low bit rate.

A-law is the native codec used by physical exchanges on the land line network
(PSTN and ISDN).  It is non-lossy.  It works by arranging the "steps" closer
together near the zero line, and further apart away from it; so the difference
between the actual signal and the nearest digital representation is small in
proportion to the signal.

To force the use of a-law, you need something like

disallow=all
allow=alaw

at the top of the configuration file for the calling technology in question
(sip.conf for SIP, chan_dahdi.conf for DAHDI, &c.).  If you want to force a
specific device to use a specific codec, then put an allow in the section for
that device.

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .