[asterisk-users] Dialplan for receiving faxes on Asterisk

Larry Moore lmoore at omninet.net.au
Fri Jan 30 17:34:56 CST 2015

On 30/01/2015 1:25 PM, Simon Humbert wrote:
>   Hi all,
>
> It looks like people commonly use this kind of dialplan when receiving
> faxes on Asterisk, with a jump to extension fax during the Wait() if a
> fax tone is detected:
>
> [start-here]
> exten => _X.,1,Answer()
> exten => _X.,n,Wait(n)
> exten => _X.,n,...do stuff...
> exten => _X.,n,Hangup()
>
> exten => fax,1,Goto(fax-rx,receive,1)
>
> [fax-rx]
> exten => receive,1,...
> exten => receive,n,...do stuff...
> exten => receive,n,ReceiveFAX()
>
> This is well suited in case Asterisk needs to receive both voice and fax
> calls. But what if Asterisk is only used to receive fax calls, can we
> start directly at the fax-rx context? I've heard that it's better to
> wait a few seconds before calling ReceiveFAX(), is it still necessary in
> case we don't actually need fax detection?

If you don't have the need to detect the fax tone then I don't see any
need to wait.

You should disable the 'faxdetect' option in your peer otherwise it may
attempt to redirect to the 'fax' extension upon detecting the fax
signalling.

Assuming you are using a SIP trunk to accept the call you could use in
your sip.conf peer something like;

context=fax-rx
disallow=all
allow=alaw,ulaw
jbenable=no
faxdetect=no
directmedia=no
callbackextension=receive
t38pt_usertpsource=yes
encryption=no

Note, in this example I am using 'callbackextension' instead of
'register =>', refer to the default sip.conf for further information.

Larry.