[asterisk-users] Investigating international calls fraud

Stelios Koroneos skoroneos at soldecom.com
Thu Jan 29 03:03:35 CST 2015

The 25000$ @6.25/min means 4000 minutes of calls (or 66H)
Not sure in how many days this has accumulated but i seriously dought this is made from a human accessing the phone.
The fact that you get the calls at certain times might have to do with the timezone the calls are going

If you phone has an API (most have) and allows for calls to be made, or the web interface allows calls to be placed from there, and there is no password or the default credentials then this is how the calls are made.
Check the call velocity (number of calls per minute) from that phone and if you see multiple calls at the same time frame then its probably not a (single) human doing it but some dialler.

We start seen this way more often than before. i.e using the phone as an attack surface instead of breaking into to pbx.
Also there seem to be a lot of javascript "cross-site” scripting attacks on the loose that target voip networks from the inside.
I.e using the browser to execute attacks from inside of a secure/firewalled network.

Stelios Koroneos

Jabber : stelios at soldecom.com