[asterisk-users] Investigating international calls fraud

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Wed Jan 28 15:23:28 CST 2015

I’ve seen the following exploits of Asterisk / FreePBX boxes:

1)  Default PlcmSpIp username and password for Polycom provisioning

2)  Insecure SIP usernames and secrets

3)  FreePBX GUI accessable from the internet

4)  OS remote exploit (maybe ssh/ssl exploit)

Mitigation options:

1)  Don’t use an easy to guess or default password on provisioning servers.

2)  Use secure secrets.  Users never enter the secret so we use a 32 char random string of characters for the password

3)  Don’t allow connections to port 80 from off-site.

4)  Make sure your OS and SSH/SSL is updated packages are updated.

Contact your carrier and ask about any possible fraud detection.    Verizon SIP service has that feature.   I don’t think Level 3 has.   Don’t know about CenturyLink.   I also recommend locking down the system very tight with IP tables – only allow whitelisted traffic rather than only blocking blacklisted traffic.

Fraud is a constant issue for everyone.