[asterisk-users] Dialing from phonebook, and hiding the dialed number from the user.

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Mon Jan 26 13:41:47 CST 2015

> Hi,
>
> does anyone have a recommendation for a SIP phone, which
> allows dialing from a phonebook, and hiding the dialed number
> from the end users? Also from the call history of course.
>
> It seems Mitel can do this, and I have a use case where this is
> a requirement.

I don't know about a phone that can do that, but I can give you another
possibility that might be an acceptable substitute.

You could alias the numbers in the phone so that in Asterisk they do
something different. In the phonebook you would have something like: Bob
Smith: 1000. Then in Asterisk, you have as part of your dialplan that 1000
would dial Bob Smith's real number. The user of the phone would only ever
see the number 1000 associated with Bob Smith. The history would still be
there in the phone, but again, it would just show 1000 as well.

How far you take this would depend somewhat on how often the underlying
numbers change. You could hard code the numbers in your Asterisk dialplan
or you could plug them into a database so that they are easier to change
in the future. Would that work for what you need?