[asterisk-users] Asterisk executable suddenly about 40KB larger - modules

Andres andres at telesip.net
Thu Jan 8 08:06:46 CST 2015

On 1/8/15 2:24 AM, Stefan Viljoen wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Thanks for the pointers - I'll look into the possible compromise scenario
> though I've got no idea how I'll counter it -if- I manage to detect it...!
>
> I've disabled prelinking (thanks Tony!) and I'll see if that helps.
>
> Interesting thing I've now discovered (had this failure again at the head
> office this morning) is the "growth" in the file's size is precipitated by
> Asterisk crashing with (in /var/log/messages):
>
> Jan  8 06:13:27 veridial kernel: asterisk[7856]: segfault at
> 00002aaaaaae0900 rip 00002aaaaaae0900 rsp 0000000041e9ad88 error 15
>
> So the sequence is the running Asterisk segfaults, and when it is restarted
> ODBC functionality is broken and the executable in /usr/sbin is += 40kb
> larger than before.
>
> As for the segfault, when it happened yesterday the address and rip were the
> SAME, only the rsp (stack pointer?) values were different, with the same
> error 15, e. g. yesterday it was
>
> Jan  7 07:27:12 veridial kernel: asterisk[16462]: segfault at
> 00002aaaaaae0900 rip 00002aaaaaae0900 rsp 000000004309c428 error 15
>
> Also, the fix I used yesterday (copying the previously compiled asterisk
> executable from src/main to /usr/sbin) did NOT work - the file in /src/main
> had the same +40kb size / was -already- compromised.
>
> So I did a make clean;make and copied the file from src/main to /usr/sbin
> and only -then- did my setup start working again with ODBC CDRs / CELs
> running correctly.
>
> I'll also now try Doug's chattr suggestion to try and "freeze" the live
> executable.
>
> Thanks for the replies and assistance.
I would also start by putting an audit rule on the binary. Something
like this:
auditctl -w /usr/sbin/asterisk  -p war -k asterisk-bin

then you can get a report on who modified it and when by using:
ausearch -f /usr/sbin/asterisk

Its a start, but eventually you might need to monitor even keystrokes
with pam_tty_audit.so to understand who is doing this:
http://poorlydocumented.com/2014/05/enabling-pam_tty_audit-on-rhel-centos-or-scientific-linux/

--
Technical Support
http://www.cellroute.net