[asterisk-users] Confused by concepts behind pjsip: endpoint, aor, contact

Antonio Gómez Soto antonio.gomez.soto at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 19:41:34 CST 2015

Joshua,

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:

[..snip..]

>  Also I notice, an AOR does seem do be directly correlated with an auth
>> record, so why are
>> they separate in the configuration, why not unify the aor and the auth
>> objects?
>>

> They aren't at all. Auth = Authentication. Used to authenticate incoming
> calls/registrations/other stuff, or used to authenticate outgoing things.
> They are NOT the same. AOR is a name for reaching something.

I did not mean they are the same, I meant that there seems to be a
one-to-one relationship.

So I am wondering, since the auth does seem useless without an aor, but an
aor
can exist without an auth, why was the auth object created in the first
place,
instead of extending the aor object with username/password/etc fields?

I think auth's only use would be when all the aor's would register using
the exact
same credentials, and even then it would only save a small amount.

But I bet you're now going to say, those small amounts are going to add up..

Antonio