[asterisk-users] Confused by concepts behind pjsip: endpoint, aor, contact

Antonio Gómez Soto antonio.gomez.soto at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 17:31:35 CST 2015

Thanks for responding,

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 5:45 PM, George Joseph <george.joseph at fairview5.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Antonio Gómez Soto <
> antonio.gomez.soto at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am slightly confused by the difference between chan_sip and pjsip.
>> Especially the new (to me) objects aor and contact.
>>
>> I am having trouble mapping them to the typical SIP configuration
>> settings on a phone.
>>

> There's some info on the wiki here...
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Migrating+from+chan_sip+to+res_pjsip
>

>> Suppose I have a phone with two line buttons, for two extension numbers.
>> Now,
>> I think that means two 'endpoints' in pjsip right?
>>

> Generally correct, if you set up 1 extension to 1 endpoint.
>

>> But what exactly is the difference
>> between aor and contact?
>>

> AORs contain contacts.  They can be permanent or dynamic.   You'd define
> permanent contacts for trunks or devices where the peer ip address is knon
> using the 'contact' parameter.   If you don't define any contacts, then
> dynamic is assumed and the aor/endpoint will accept inbound registrations.
>   You'd use dynamic for most phones.

So basically, the 'contact' in the AOR is just an ip address (or 'dynamic',
in which case it accepts
incoming registrations).

So what happens if one endpoint has multiple AOR's which are registered
from different ip addresses.
And you Dial() that endpoint, will PJSIP send invites to all the ip
addresses?

Is there any practical use for such a setup?

Also I notice, an AOR does seem do be directly correlated with an auth
record, so why are
they separate in the configuration, why not unify the aor and the auth
objects?

And, while I'm at it, in the realtime tables, the length of
ps_endpoints.aors = 200, and
the length of ps_endpoints.auths = 40. This suggests there are scenarios
where there
are aors, without corresponding auth. Can you mix dynamic and static AORs
within one
endpoint, and would there be a use case for that?

Thanks,
Antonio.