[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk a Linux only system?

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Fri Feb 13 12:56:01 CST 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 8:52 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at vex.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 09:43:33 -0500
>> Ron Wheeler <rwheeler at artifact-software.com> wrote:
>> > Why not just bite the bullet and move to a supported Linux?
>>
>> If all I had was a phone switch that might be an option but this is
>> just part of a multi-server system that needs to be able to move
>> services back and forth so the underlying OS has to be the same for
>> everything.  Besides, I am a NetBSD developer and so I am also
>> interested in making every package rock solid on it.
>>
>> > - you can be assured that it works
>> > - updates are tested
>>
>> I would be willing to make a NetBSD machine (not my production server)
>> available for running unit tests.  Are there already unit tests in the
>> distribution?
>>

> Yes there are. In addition to unit tests, there are also the functional
> tests in the Asterisk Test Suite [1].
>
> To enable them as well as set up Asterisk for the Test Suite:
>
> 1. Configure Asterisk for development mode:
>   $ ./configure --enable-dev-mode
> 2. In menuselect, enable the TEST_FRAMEWORK Compiler Flag
> 3. Also in menuselect, enable the Test Modules. These provide the unit
> tests.
> 4. Build/install Asterisk
> 5. Run Asterisk
> 6. Execute the unit tests (or a subset thereof) using the CLI:
>   *CLI> test execute [category|all]
>
> Note that some unit tests require a particular configuration or certain
> subsystems to be enabled. You can examine the CI build agent scripts used
> for test runs here:
>
> http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/testsuite/bamboo/trunk/bin/
>
> Specifically, the "build-asterisk-only.sh" script and
> "run-asterisk-unittests.sh".
>
> Setting up [2] and running [3] the Asterisk Test Suite is documented on the
> wiki, and generally covers a lot more functionality than the unit tests.
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Test+Suite+Documentation
> [2]
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Installing+the+Asterisk+Test+Suite
> [3]
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Running+the+Asterisk+Test+Suite

It should be noted, we did have a FreeBSD and Ubuntu systems running
the testsuite back in 2010.  FreeBSD was donated to the project.

I personally had a PowerPC system running asterisk / testsuite, on debian.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)