[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk a Linux only system?

David M. Lee dlee at digium.com
Thu Feb 12 10:38:33 CST 2015

> On Feb 12, 2015, at 9:11 AM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:
>
> Justin Sherrill wrote:
>> I would love to run Asterisk on a BSD system.  I do not know of any
>> developers actively working on Asterisk on a BSD platform, though my
>> knowledge isn't comprehensive.
>
> I'm also unaware of anyone developing on BSD like that. Linux of course and a smattering of folks on OSX doing the odd thing.

/me is an odd developer occasionally doing odd things on OS X.

If anyone wants to improve Asterisk on any non-Linux system, a good place to start is to run it with some of the common developer flags enabled (pass --enable-dev-mode to configure, enable DO_CRASH, enable the TEST_FRAMEWORK and run the tests).

The increased warning level on GCC catches a few portability bugs, that are usually straightforward to fix. The tests can be harder, since you don’t know if it’s a problem in the test itself, or in Asterisk.

Unfortunately, I doubt the Python test suite would run on non-Linux. I don’t even bother trying to run it on Ubuntu; I have a CentOS VM specifically for running the test suite to avoid platform problems.

--
David M. Lee
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer