[asterisk-users] IAX port

jg webaccounts173 at jgoettgens.de
Tue Feb 10 03:02:16 CST 2015

> I get an occasional similar problem, we have Mikrotik firewalls and from tcpdump monitoring on
> the asterisk boxes I can see that the firewall (unbidden) has changed the IAX port. Usually a
> firewall reset and sometimes PBX reset combination fixes it.
>
> Its odd as its only one direction, occurs rarely and with no obvious driver. So IAX is happy
> in one direction but not the other. And I can see packets in the unhappy point arriving on the
> wrong port.
>
> I couldn't fix it without kicking the router/firewall so I would say its a router problem in
> the Destination NAT process.
>
> Cheers Duncan
>

>> Port is changed when NAT is applied from LAN to WAN.
>> While UDP session is maintained as ESTABLISHED, that port should not change.
>>
>> If your peer changes constantly of session port could be UDP session
>> is too short in NAT table on routers.
>> You can try setting qualify=1000 (which is in ms. Default is 2000),
>> and see if peer keeps same port.
>>
>> Regards.

voip-info.org also has an entry about general NAT related issues, which could be relevant here

I do not seem to have problems with Netgear firewalls, but other firewalls show this effect. So
far it happened only on a single side, such that calls work from the other side. I already
checked the open ports with nc/ncat/netcat as UDP sender and receiver on the other end. The
ports are open, even when the arbitrary ports are used by Asterisk.

I'll need to read a bit more and evaluate my pcap traces and possibly ask the router vendors.

Thank you for your efforts.

jg