[asterisk-users] weather.agi

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Wed Dec 16 11:10:39 CST 2015

Here is a funny story.  We mostly do hotels in the Caribbean, and one of
our first clients (going on ten years now) used the sample "weather.agi"
that used to be shipped with... asterisk at home? Trixbox?  Can't even
recall where we originally got it from.

This perl script uses festival to speak a brief weather forecast to the
caller.  We told our hotels this was a feature for guests, and assigned
a function code to execute it.  They have been using it for years.  In
fact the front desk used to just dial it in speaker mode for guests
checking in.

Here is the funny part - the text for the weather forecast was coming
from an anonymous FTP site at tgftp.nws.noaa.gov.  Sometime in 2013 they
stopped updating the forecast!  So ever since then the caller would get
the forecast for June something 2013.  But because the weather in St
Thomas is nearly the same year round, NO ONE NOTICED!  Well, until just
recently.

After we stopped laughing about it, they now want me to fix it.  But I
can't seem to find a new source of textual summary weather data.

So... has anyone else run into this and fixed it by chance?  Or can
point me to weather data?

Cheers,