[asterisk-users] Changing volume via dialplan

Matthew Murphy mrmdev at outlook.com
Thu Aug 20 12:52:01 CDT 2015

Greetings everyone,
I am attempting to adjust the volume of a call using Set(VOLUME) in my extensions.conf file. I am finding that Set(VOLUME(TX)=x) and Set(VOLUME(RX)=y) have no discernable effect on my endpoints (Snom 300 IP phones). I have tried setting x and y to -30, -10, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, and 100 and there appears to be no change on the phone volume. I can see that the Set(VOLUME) instruction is being executed on the Asterisk CLI.
I have also tried using Set(CHANNEL(txgain)=x) and Set(CHANNEL(rxgain)=y) and those don't seem to have any effect either. I have tried setting x and y to -30, -10, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, and 100 and there appears to be no change on the phone volume. I can see that the Set(CHANNEL) instruction is being executed on the Asterisk CLI.
I am using PJSIP and just upgraded to Asterisk 13.5.0. It wasn't working on 13.4.0 either, but when I saw the release notes on 13.5 and volume was addressed, I was hopeful that it might solve my problem for me.
So I have a couple of questions:
1) Am I using the correct functions in the dial plan to adjust volume? It would be something like:same => n,Set(VOLUME(TX)=3)orsame =>n,Set(CHANNEL(rxgain)=0)2) If this is correct, what are the min/max values that I can use when adjusting volume? I was digging around the source code and it looked like maybe a min of -4 and max of +4 was expected - but I am unsure.
If anyone has any ideas on how to do this, I would appreciate any help.
Thanks a lot,
--Matt