[asterisk-users] One way audio - doesn't seem to be NAT issue - SOLVED!

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at Vex.Net
Sat Aug 15 19:02:42 CDT 2015

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 12:42:38 -0300
Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:
> > I am not sure why this hasn't bit anyone else.  Perhaps most
> > Asterisk systems are in one of two classes, connecting to all NAT
> > phones or connecting to all public phones, and I am in a minority
> > situation where I am talking to a mix of setups.
>
> Most people run without direct media unless they know the network
> topology will allow it 100%.

Perhaps but the default is to run it.  Perhaps the default should be
"no" to prevent these problems.

On the other hand, the documentation seemed to suggest that the default
should have worked anyway.  One leg was public, the other behind a
NAT.  It should recognize the latter and not try to put then in direct
contact.  It's almost like it saw the public one and didn't bother
checking the other.  Or, it checked both with an OR instead of an AND
as I said.  That seems more likely since it didn't matter who started
the call.

I don't really care at this point.  If 1% of the calls go through the
server when they didn't really need to it's no big deal.

Cheers.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net