[asterisk-users] One way audio - doesn't seem to be NAT issue - SOLVED!

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at Vex.Net
Sat Aug 15 10:08:57 CDT 2015

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 16:30:39 +0800
Michael Dupree <michael at easybitllc.com> wrote:
> Not 100% ure, but maybe play with the canreinvite or directmedia
> settings.

Yes!  That was it.  Just for future searches here is what I did.  I
added "directmedia = no" in sip.conf.  This fixed the issue.

I believe that Asterisk was getting confused when one leg was inside
NAT and the other was outside.  Perhaps there was an "OR" where there
should be an "AND".  It makes sense because the other user was the one
outside NAT and he could hear me and I could not hear him no matter who
initiated the call.  He could make outside calls because both he and my
provider were on public IPs.

I am not sure why this hasn't bit anyone else.  Perhaps most Asterisk
systems are in one of two classes, connecting to all NAT phones or
connecting to all public phones, and I am in a minority situation where
I am talking to a mix of setups.

Thanks for that.  I was going nuts trying to figure this out.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net