[asterisk-users] Asterisk uses "Anonymous", but why?

Murthy Gandikota murthy64 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:37:17 CDT 2015

Hi All

I am trying to dial out using SIP and Vonage using the instructions :

It was not working. So I downloaded  X-PRO Vonage, the vonage sip phone, and wiresharked the port. I see that a significant difference is the vonage phone uses "Vonage User" where
asterisk uses "Anonymous".  Is that the problem? The Inbound call works fine. Here is my sip.conf

[general]
context = demo  ;              Default context for incoming calls
bindport = 5060  ;              UDP Port to bind to (SIP standard port is 5060)
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0  ;              IP address to bind to (0.0.0.0 binds to all)
srvlookup = yes  ;              Enable DNS SRV lookups on outbound calls
context=incoming
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=g729
allow=g723
externip=72.220.28.226
localnet=192.168.0.0
nat=yes
maxexpiry=15
minexpiry=14
;rtautoclear=no
;autofallthrough=yes

register =><did>:<password>@69.59.234.67:5060/202

[vonage-out]
username=<did>
type=friend
secret=<password>
port=5061
nat=yes
host=69.59.234.67
fromuser=<did>
fromdomain=69.59.234.67
dtmfmode=rfc2833
auth=md5
context=from-pstn
canreinvite=no

Here is the CLI command used:

ubuntu*CLI> originate SIP/732-xxx-xxxx at vonage-out application dial
  == Using SIP RTP CoS mark 5
[Aug  5 14:16:49] WARNING[32891][C-00000006]: chan_sip.c:23160 handle_response_invite: Received response: "Forbidden" from '"Anonymous" <sip:<did>@69.59.234.67>;tag=as69898393'
ubuntu*CLI>

Thanks for your help