[asterisk-users] Looking for PRI Card with automatic fail over

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Tue Aug 4 02:47:02 CDT 2015

On Monday 03 Aug 2015, Eric Klein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Strange request, I have a customer where we are putting an Asterisk PBX in
> front of a legacy (non-VoIP) PBX. One of the requirements it that the
> Asterisk PBX have 2 PRI ports (on towards the legacy PBX and one towards
> the carrier) with the ability to go to pass through should the Asterisk PBX
> (software or hardware level) fail.
>
> I did not see this feature in the Digium, Sangoma, Allo, or OpenVox cards.
>
> Does anyone know of a card that will do this? I know that Digium has an
> external box (the r850) that does something similar for 2 PBXs making them
> high availability, but in this case I only have the 1 Asterisk box acting
> as a gateway and passing some calls out over SIP and IAX2.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Use a 4-pole change-over relay to switch the PRI connection either to the
Asterisk box if it gets some sort of "heartbeat" signal from the computer
(say, toggling one of the lines of a printer port, if the motherboard still
has one),  or the old PABX?

You might have to do some mean, down and dirty low-level programming, to embed
your heartbeat-generating code in Asterisk's idle loop; but the Source Code is
out there, if you fancy the challenge .....

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .