[asterisk-users] Playback/background audio from MySQL BLOB

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 04:36:07 CDT 2014

On Tuesday 23 Sep 2014, Steve Edwards wrote:
> For some applications, storing recorded audio (prompts and caller
> recordings) as a BLOB in MySQL has advantages.
>
> So, once I have the audio in the database, how can I play it?
>
> Creating temporary files seems so tacky.
>
> Is there another way to playback or background audio either by specifying
> a URL or from a memory buffer (either C or PHP)?

Depending how many messages you have, you could use a named pipe  (FIFO)  or a
Unix-domain socket for each one; and have the individual backend processes
interrogate the database and dump the contents of the relevant field down it.
As far as Asterisk is concerned, the socket / FIFO looks just like a file; it
doesn't care much that the data in it is really coming from a process on the
other end.  This obviously suffers from the problem of decreasing
manageability, the more message "files" you have.

But personally, I'd just store the filenames in the database; and rely on the
unix filesystem for storing the actual file contents.  After all, that's what a
filesystem is for.

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .