[asterisk-users] Asterisk secure fine tune - stop attack

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Thu Sep 4 10:58:45 CDT 2014

If we don't need to allow access from outside the USA we block access from all non-ARIN IP addresses by using iptables.   This takes care of at least 80% of attacks.

I enabled guest access and pointed all guest calls to an IVR which auto disconnects the call after a while (2 min seems good) if there is no response.   That took care of most of the remaining attacks.

I'm considering enabling auto create peer and routing calls to the same IVR as above.

We also use fail2ban, but mostly for non-SIP attacks.

Before enabling any guest access be ABSOLUTELY SURE you know how to do it without causing security issues.