[asterisk-users] Questions on musiconhold.conf custom mode

Thorsten Göllner tg at ovm-group.com
Mon Oct 27 05:50:26 CDT 2014

Am 27.10.2014 08:54, schrieb Olivier:
>> Am 25.10.2014 00:09, schrieb Olivier:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I need to play some musiconhold content starting at a random duration
>>> from the start.
>>>
>>> Thanks to mode=custom option and either madplay or mpg123 programs, I
>>> could successfully get what I was after on a Debian Wheezy system.
>>>
>>> Now I realized sox version on my target system (Debian Squeeze) cannot
>>> convert to MP3 format.
>>> So I'm looking after workarounds.
>>>
>>> 0. I've read many  mpg123 or madplay examples. All of them are
>>> clutered with option converting MP3 input file into an appropriate
>>> format that Asterisk requires for music on hold.
>>> What is the name of this appropriate format ? sln ? wav ?
>>>
>>> 1. Is there a player like mpg123, that can repeat content in
>>> appropriate format (see above)  to stdout but can read from anything
>>> different from MP3 ?
>>>
>>> 2. Is there an option on Squeeze to convert audio files to MP3
>>> (reverse coversion works OK).
>>>
>>> 3. Which options could I have for such custom MOH, if I was building
>>> on system without g729 transaltion capabilites ans with g729-only SIP
>>> trunks or phones ?
>>>
>> Is the gsm-format an option for you? So you may convert your moh-File to
>> gsm:
>> sox YouWavFile.wav -r 8000 -c1 MohFile.gsm
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> Yes gsm-format is an option for me but how can you play such gsm file as MOH ?
>
> If I'm not mistaken, both madplay or mpg123 would only play MP3 files
> (I've not tested with other formats, yet).
> I could successfully play a RAW file with cat but cat has no repeat
> option, so I still have to find something else anyway.

When your musiconhold.conf looks like that ...

---- cut -----
[general]

[default]
mode=files
directory=moh

[your_moh_class]
mode=files
directory=/your/path/to/your/moh/files

... then you can put any supported file format into the specified
directory. GSM is only one option. Asterisk will take the best (meaning
"cheapest") file format availble in this directory.