[asterisk-users] Voicemail ODBC Storage

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Sat Oct 25 20:52:11 CDT 2014

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Dan Journo <dan at keshercommunications.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any reason why ODBC voicemail storage requires varchar for most
> fields?
> For example, is there anything stopping me using a BIGINT or similar for
> origtime or INT for duration?

Yes.

app_voicemail uses a message envelope file to hold the metadata regarding
the voice mail. When the ODBC retrieve function pulls the database records,
it writes that data out to a temporary message envelope file for
playback/manipulation by other functions. This process does not examine the
column types, but instead simply looks at the column names and writes the
data values out to the file using the types that it expects each column
name to have.

So, changing those types will not work out well for you.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager