[asterisk-users] Questions on musiconhold.conf custom mode

Thorsten Göllner tg at ovm-group.com
Sat Oct 25 12:33:45 CDT 2014

Am 25.10.2014 00:09, schrieb Olivier:
> Hello,
>
> I need to play some musiconhold content starting at a random duration
> from the start.
>
> Thanks to mode=custom option and either madplay or mpg123 programs, I
> could successfully get what I was after on a Debian Wheezy system.
>
> Now I realized sox version on my target system (Debian Squeeze) cannot
> convert to MP3 format.
> So I'm looking after workarounds.
>
> 0. I've read many  mpg123 or madplay examples. All of them are
> clutered with option converting MP3 input file into an appropriate
> format that Asterisk requires for music on hold.
> What is the name of this appropriate format ? sln ? wav ?
>
> 1. Is there a player like mpg123, that can repeat content in
> appropriate format (see above)  to stdout but can read from anything
> different from MP3 ?
>
> 2. Is there an option on Squeeze to convert audio files to MP3
> (reverse coversion works OK).
>
> 3. Which options could I have for such custom MOH, if I was building
> on system without g729 transaltion capabilites ans with g729-only SIP
> trunks or phones ?

Is the gsm-format an option for you? So you may convert your moh-File to
gsm:
sox YouWavFile.wav -r 8000 -c1 MohFile.gsm

If you really need mp3 you have to compile sox with mp3-support by
yourself OR maybe this is a solution on Debian:
http://www.howtoinstall.co/en/debian/wheezy/main/libsox-fmt-mp3/

-Thorsten-