[asterisk-users] Asterisk GOIP Outgoing Callerid not working

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 05:21:14 CDT 2014

On Thursday 16 Oct 2014, Stephan Alz wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a simple 1 channel goip gateway
> (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/GoIP).
>
> The incoming and outgoing calls work with Asterisk except the caller ID for
> the outgoing calls. I think I have exhausted all possible options
> regarding setting a caller ID and it still doesn't work. The recipients
> will get "private number". The incomings caller ids are work just fine.

First thing to check:  Are you sure that your mobile telco actually let you
set your own ident on outgoing calls?

Just because Asterisk requests a particular caller ID, does not mean that the
equipment downstream is necessarily going to honour that request  (or even
have any way to do so; Asterisk won't protest if you Set(CALLERID(num)=...)
and then Dial() out through an analogue line).  With many telcos, you can only
ident as a number you are entitled to use.  If you request a number that isn't
yours, the call will be made anonymously, in accordance with  (someone's idea
of)  the Principle of Least Surprise.

And with a very few legitimate exceptions, this is entirely Right and Proper.
Subscribers have a reasonable expectation for the number shown on the phone to
be the actual number from which they are being called.  If it was any
different, we would have unwanted callers spoofing caller ID right, left and
centre.

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .