[asterisk-users] Issue playing high quality white noise

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Tue Oct 14 10:57:16 CDT 2014

The limitation of 8khz sample rate (ulaw or alaw on pstn) should only
affect the audio spectrum - for example there will be a loss of frequencies
above 3.3-4khz if the band pass filter is done correctly, or an overly loud
static sound where higher frequencies were in the original if not.

If by 'broken up' you mean to say that there are periods of no audio, then
there is a separate issue affecting the audio stream such as packet loss or
problems getting the audio file to stream reliably.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM, <asteriskusers at dovid.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a client that wants a phone system that will play sounds from a
> sleep machine. I tried using all different formats (GSM, WAV, WV49, MP3
> etc.). Over SIP it was OK however with the PSTN it broke up from time to
> time. I assume this has to do with the fact that the PSTN is limited to
> 8khz. Is there something I am missing here or is this simply a limitation
> of the PSTN?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dovid
>

> --

[image: Digium logo]
Scott Griepentrog
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 256 580 6090
Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org