[asterisk-users] Ubuntu 12.04 LTS / Asterisk / apt-get upgrade / exclude packages

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 07:55:55 CDT 2014

On Friday 10 Oct 2014, Thorsten Göllner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Asterisk 11 with DAHDI (Sangoma E1-Card) running on Ubuntu 12.04
> LTS. Asterisk and DAHDI-Drivers are installed from source.
>
> When doing an "apt-get upgrade" the system packages will be update but
> sometimes Asterisk is broken. Which packages do I have to exclude when I
> do not have time to recompile Asterisk/Dahdi each time? libc?
> Kernel-Packages?
>
> Thanks so far!
> -Thorsten-

DAHDI is basically a set of kernel modules, which *by design* work only with
the exact kernel for which they were compiled; so avoid any upgrade to the
kernel if you don't have time to rebuild DAHDI.

C library changes potentially could require anything to be recompiled; but in
practice almost invariably don't, precisely because of how much breakage would
potentially be caused.  If a C library update requires recompilation of other
packages then either there has been a Flag Day  (and not the sort where mean
people stay indoors!)  or you're running Gentoo.

I believe there is a way in Debian, and therefore probably Ubuntu, to have
some script execute automatically following a kernel update.  So you might
even be able to have DAHDI self-rebuild following a kernel update.

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .