[asterisk-users] [SOLVED] Re: Incoming calls to a GSM gateway & "SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized" response when dial 7777 to Asterisk

Luis Eduardo Cortes luedcortes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 21:20:39 CST 2014

> Hello:
>
> I'm newbie in asterisk, please help me.
>
> My context is as follows:
>
> 192.168.4.2 --> Asterisk 11.13.1 complied from source
>
> 192.168.4.4 --> Yeastar NeoGate TG100 GSM gateway
>
> When I call from a GSM cell phone, my TG100 GSM gateway answers and
> dials extension 7777 (configured as a hotline on TG100) to asterisk
> server, but asterisk server sends me "SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized"
> response, I think it's a matter of contexts but I don't find the
> problem.
>
> Attached are sip.conf, extensions.conf and debug from 192.168.4.4
> (TG100 GSM gateway).
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hello:

I solved my issue by changing type=friend with type=peer in
[555555555] section, afterwards, googling I've found this article that
explain me why:

http://forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?t=79338#p161214

Re: type=friend is bad for you

Postby thor » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:24 am
Another little known fact about the difference between peer and friend:
Friend will challenge INVITEs. When making outbound calls from a
registered phone/peer another challenge will be issued.

This means type=friend requires second INVITE with authentication
credentials, while peer will accept INVITE without challenge.

In other words type=friend does not care about the phone registration
status and always tries to authenticate as if the phone never
registered.