[asterisk-users] Asterisk 12 - zombie processes

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Nov 4 07:59:06 CST 2014

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Yaron Nachum <nachum.yaron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Asterisk users & developers,
> I have opened an issue few days ago regarding the crash and the zombie
> processes. I haven't received any response and it has't been assigned.
> If something is wrong or missing with the issue please get back to me and I
> will handle it.
>
> Please look into it because we still have crashes every day or two, and we
> can't reproduce the issue in our lab with a simulator.

To set expectations here:

This is an open source project. No one is under any obligation to look
at your issue.

There are currently around 20 issues or so in the issue tracker in
Triage. Bug marshals are working through those issues as fast as they
can, but generally they work from oldest to newest. If an older issue
takes a lot of investigation... well, there's only so many hours in a
day.

Even after an issue is triaged, that is not a guarantee that someone
will fix your issue. It is a crash, and that generally means it is
higher priority - however, if you can't reproduce it in a lab
environment or provide instructions on how it is reproduced, then you
have to hope that a developer who does look at it can infer the cause
of the crash from the information available. Any information you can
provide beyond the backtrace on how to reproduce the issue will help a
developer who looks at it.

Again, however, no one is under any obligation to fix the issue. If
you need more assurance that your issue is resolved, I'd highly
recommend looking at issuing a bug bounty [1], or contacting a
developer in the Asterisk Developer Community for assistance.

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Bug+Bounties

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager