[asterisk-users] Multicast RTP

Josh Metzger joshdmetzger at gmail.com
Thu May 8 09:05:48 CDT 2014

I'm currently working with Asterisk 11.8.1 trying to get Multicast RTP
working (it's not) with some Polycom phones, and I'm really trying to
determine if Asterisk or the phones are the issue.  I THINK it's Asterisk...

In extensions.conf I have a simple: "Page(MulticastRTP/basic/x.x.x.x:xxxx)
line, and when I dial that extension I get:

   -- Called
MulticastRTP/basic/x.x.x.x:5555

    -- MulticastRTP/0x7f8b4000f898 answered SIP/XXXXXXX-0000004c

After connecting and hearing the "beep" the line stays open and I can talk
and press buttons and so on, but the phones aren't getting anything.  I ran
"rtp set debug on" and if I call extension to extension I see all of the
"got RTP packet from" and "Sent RTP packet to" messages as expected, but
doing the same thing when calling my Multicast Page extension only shows me
"Got RTP packet from" messages.  Shouldn't I see the "Sent RTP packet to"
messages with the Multicast address/port displayed?  I've also run a
wireshark capture and all I see is the RTP stream from my phone to the
server - nothing going back out.  What am I missing, here?

Thanks,

Josh